Friday, September 16, 2011

Kanjamolaga (Dried Red Chilli) Chicken

I thought that, to kick this blog off, I'd share one of my favourite recipes from home :) It's become a family recipe after my grandmother found it in a newspaper and modified it, and it's always been one of my absolute favourite dishes. It was the first real recipe I followed, after I learnt to cook - I asked Mom to send it to me so I could make it for New Year's in England!

Having eaten it - and loved it - all my life, the first time I cooked it, I couldn't believe how easy it was. In fact, I was sure Mom had forgotten to tell me half the ingredients! It came out perfect, despite too many kanjamolagas (dried red chillies) and that was when I first realised that it's sometimes the simplest dishes that are the tastiest.

This has always been popular among my friends, and it's my standard dish for pot-luck gatherings. :) Modify the quantity for the chillies depending on what sort you use and how spicy you like it!

Ingredients:
1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
7-10 dried red chillies
4-6 medium red onions, chopped
1 medium-sized tomato
1 small chicken, skinned and cut
Haldi (turmeric)
Salt

Method:
Marinate the chicken with haldi and salt. It doesn't matter how long for...I generally do this before I start chopping the onions. I like it when the quantity of the onions is approx. the same as that of the chicken, since they get all brown and delicious. Heat a little oil in a kadai (wok) and add the saunf and red chillies. When the saunf pops, add the onions and a little salt (it helps them fry evenly). When the onions turn light brown, add the tomato and the chicken together, mix everything together and cook covered, over a medium flame, stirring occasionally. Check for salt. Cook until brown and well done.

Sprinkle a little water over it if it becomes too dry, and if it's not dry enough, cook open for a while until the water evaporates, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't burn.

This is a quick and easy recipe, and goes rrrreally well with daal and jeera rice! Though I'm sure it would be lovely with something unconventional as well, like mashed potatoes.

ETA: Would anyone like me to put up recipes for daal and jeera rice? Let me know in the comments. Oh and it would be lovely if you try this and let me know how it turned out :) Commenting = showing love!

6 comments:

  1. Oooo! Sounds yum! I've never tried this one before. And I love dried meet preparations! Thank you for this one!:) I ought to try it sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave this recipe to a new friend I made in Nagarcoil and she made it. Her husband absolutely loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer two questions I received on Facebook about this recipe:

    1 small chicken can equivalent to about a kilo or slightly less. I usually use a tray of 6-8 chicken thighs. You can modify the recipe for the amount of chicken you have by making sure your onions are slightly less, or the same, in quantity as your chicken.

    You don't have to use red onions, the recipe works with others. Red have a nice flavour, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally got to try it. I've been waiting for a chance ever since you posted it. It was awesome!! And I'm additionally kicked because I've finally figured what makes traditional Tamil chicken recipes taste the way they do - it's the fennel! We had it with jeera rice (I snuck in an all spice leaf) and fried vendekkai. Joyousness for a weekday dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow...I'm glad you liked it and it came out well :D It's brilliant isn't it...it's so quick too, perfect for a weeknight or a potluck! Yeah the fennel is our secret ingredient...and other things aside, I like chewing it after a meal :) Amazing natural mouth freshener! You have to share your vendakkai recipe with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vendekkai was standard vendekkai. Splutter mustard seeds, add chopped onions, add chopped vendekkai, turmeric, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt...and fry it to the point you like it (but make sure it's cooked)

    ReplyDelete